Make this, it’s not as difficult as I made it look, your friends and family will think you’re amazing. If you don’t have friends or family, at least your tastebuds will love you.
If you don’t have time to make the Cavatelli, I suggest making the sauce on it’s own and combining it with some pre-made pasta.
- 200 grams semolina
- 200 grams ’00’ flour
- 200 grams tepid water
- Place both flours in a bowl and mix lightly by hand.
- Transfer to work bench and make a well in the pile of flour.
- Add most of the water to the well, carefully start incorporating with your hand, dont break the wall!
- Add the rest of the water and work the dough together in to a ball
- Start kneading (pay careful attention to how the dough changes after 8-10 minutes of kneading)
- Once its come together and you’ve kneaded the heck out of it wrap nicely with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes
- 3 clove Garlic (lightly crushed with hand)
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes (cleaned of any ugly bits and tomato skin, hand crushed)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (torn into large pieces)
- Lots of Pecorino or Parmigiano
- Heat oil on high heat in large frying pan or sauce pot, add garlic, lightly brown (not too dark! or else she’ll be bitter)
- Add cleaned tomatoes, salt and half the basil stirring constantly for 8-10 minutes. ( once the oil starts seperating out and the sauce is quite thick, its ready!)
- For the rolling of the cavatelli, seperate the dough into 4 or 5 pieces and roll into long ropes about the diameter of your ring finger (depending on how sticky the dough is you might need a little flour on the work surface)
- Cut the ropes into pieces as big as 2 of your fingers.
- You can start making the cavatelli (start at the top of the small piece of dough with 2 fingers and drag down using even pressure until it curls around your fingers and makes a nice hollow for your sauce)
- Cook this pasta in salty water it takes around 6-10 minutes (depending on the size)
- Heat up your tomato sauce while the pasta is cooking and add cooked pasta to sauce as well as some pasta water, cook in sauce for about a minute add some basil and toss together
- Once this is all done turn the heat off and add either pecorino or parmigiano toss together and serve with more cheese and olive oil!!
Have any questions? Comment below!